READ, LOVE, GROW
with a Friction Farm CD called "Tell Me A Story"
We read an article about the for-profit prison industry. It said that they use the illiteracy rate of eleven year olds as an indicator for how many beds they will need in fifteen years.
Let that sink in for a moment.
Our sadness subsided, turned to anger. But anger seemed a waste of time and energy. Instead we chose gratitude. We are thankful for the information. It is catalyst for us to address childhood illiteracy and the many problems that stem from it. Friction Farm - musicians, book lovers, writers of songs inspired by books – can be part of the solution. And so can you. You know that we have a CD of songs inspired by books. We were surprised at how many adults told us it encouraged a return to reading, especially for pleasure.
We have written a series of songs inspired by children's literature and are now recording them. Presenting these songs in libraries, schools, after school programs allows us to talk about books in a fun way. Not only do we get to introduce kids to some great books, we also get to chat about how books open the mind, help create your own stories, pictures, philosophies... Music provides a different connection, another entry point. In addition to presenting programs, we want to leave a CD with public libraries and other lenders.
We have never done any sort of crowd funding before. But we don't have enough money to do this now. So we're asking for help. We need $5750 to get this done, and we have $2000. Can you help us out with the rest? We have lots of levels at which you can support this project:
- WORD $10 - Life is tough, but I am still pitching in. We will send you a download
- SENTENCE $25 - Life is good I can give a little. We'll send a download and CD
- PARAGRAPH $50 - Life's great, I can give more. We'll send a download, CD, plus another CD to give away, or a t-shirt, or a FrictionFarm blank book (only 2), or a cutting board made by AQ (just 3)
- CHAPTER $100- Life is amazing, I can give a lot. We'll send a download & CD, and cook you and a guest a good homemade meal at your place or ours.
- BOOK $500- If phone booths still existed I'd be in a cape. We will send downloads, CDs, and arrange a concert for kids/adults/family at a place of your choice vaguely convenient to our tour schedule.
(get together with friends or your church or community and do this one!)